There could be a number of reasons why your central heating or hot water isn’t working. It is possible that you can put right several problems yourself, avoiding taking time out or the expense of calling out a heating engineer. Try these central heating tips first:
1. Double check the gas, electrical and water supplies to the appliance are turned on. Somebody could have accidentally turned it them off in error, It’s surprising how easily they can get accidentally switched off.
2. Check the thermostat is turned up and the clock timer is on. Maybe you need to change the battery if it is not hard wired.
3. Some combi and system boilers have a pressure gauge showing system water pressure, this usually needs to be at around 1 bar, check your boiler instruction manual if you are not sure.
4. Do you have a boiler system with a permanent pilot light? Check that it hasn’t gone out – this is a very frequent issue with older boilers.
5. Try putting your central heating on maximum for a short while to see if it will kick start the boiler back into action.
6. Have the clocks gone forward or back? Perhaps it is as simple as your clock programmer might just need adjusting to the right time.
7. Has there been a power cut and a break in the energy supply? Your heating clock programmer potentially has been re set back to the original factory settings when the electric came back on. Test the central heating by setting it to come on in 15 minutes time – if that works, simply re-enter your preferred central heating settings.
8. Do you have a customer-operated reset switch (not one that needs you to remove any casing. Removing the boiler casing should only be carried out by registered Gas Safe engineers)? These are usually found on the front of modern boilers: check your user manual to see if it needs re-setting.
9. Try turning the electrical supply to the boiler off and on – the switch is usually near the boiler or in the airing cupboard. This might reset your boiler and resolve the problem.
10. Have your pipes frozen? In periods of prolonged, cold and freezing weather, the condensate pipe of your boiler can freeze.
11. The problem with central heating programmers, timers or room thermostats is that often they are overly complicated, so check your instructions and make sure that they’re all set for operation. Some controls send signals remotely and can stop working, so check these too. All it takes is one wrong button pressed and no heat or hot water, so a quick battery check can solve this.
If you’ve carried out all these checks and your central heating still isn’t working, Tempo Saves Energy would be delighted to help you. We’ll first carry out a boiler system and central heating diagnosis and give you a quotation to carry out a boiler repair or if required a boiler replacement quote. A member of staff will talk you through your options, tailored to your individual needs.
• All our plumbing and heating engineers are highly trained and Gas-Safe registered
• Our engineers carry identification and wear full uniform at all times
• Prior to visiting, engineers will call to confirm an estimated time of arrival
• We only use the best products such as Vaillaint and Worceter Bosch
• No compromise on workmanship, engineering quality or customer service
• We cover all of North Wales, Cheshire, Doncaster and the wider Yorkshire areas.
To Andy and staff, Many thanks for all your help today, in my emergency.” Andy and the team were able to quickly respond to a boiler repair emergency in Prestatyn.Read case study
We are over the moon with the boiler install and the work that has been completed at the property. I was very happy with how professional and tidy they were and can’t thank them enough for everything they have done.Read case study
Really pleased with today. The guys worked so hard and were extremely professional. Thank you so much. We will certainly recommend you whenever possible. We’ve already told number 7 how good they were !!!Read case study